Friday 22 November 2013

"Cheer up love" NO

In the last week I have had to put up with three occasions of men, strangers, making me feel uncomfortable. The first was a drunk man sitting next to me on a train, initially he just asked if the train was going to a particular stop.  This led to him trying to make conversation with me despite the fact I had my headphones on.  He told me I was pretty then tried to create conversation all the while leaning further and further in.  After a couple of minutes, as he was reaching for my leg, I got up and pushed passed him to the next carriage.  I was so angry that this strange man felt he could just act like this, and I have to say that despite it was a busy train no one else stepped in. 

Other instances in the last week include a man, again a complete stranger, grabbing my shoulder saying “oo steady love” on the train when it wobbled slightly.  If he’d saved me from falling I might have accepted it, but he wasn’t, I was sitting down.  The latest was something I encounter frequently, “cheer up love”. I’m walking on my own in the rain; I’m not going to walk around with a massive grin on my face just for you. 

I’ve been getting increasingly riled over these instances and coincidentally, as it would be hard to ignore, the sheer scale of inequality between the sexes is getting a higher profile in the media.  I’m not saying men don’t suffer from drunken women trying to chat them up or older women making a comment about a younger man. I just highly doubt it’s a weekly occurrence for the majority of men.

Feminism is a big topic at the moment, from Elles Feminism campaign #makethempay to all the debate regarding the music industry with you know whose twerking and Lily Allens new song ‘Hard Out Here’. Whatever kind of stand we make something needs to be done about the everyday sexism many women receive. And no, shouting “Nice legs” out of a moving car at me IS NOT a compliment. Apparently I’ll miss this when I’m older but I doubt it.

Feminism is considered by some as a bit of a dirty word and there is much debate about it at the moment.  I say I am a feminist because I believe all women should have equal opportunities (and equal pay) to men – simple as that. And if they can stop commenting on my appearance when I'm walking down the street I'd appreciate that too.  A date fairly recently told me it was a woman’s DUTY to clean/cook/look after the house, whatever the woman’s income or career path.  Needless to say that didn’t go much further.

I know I am only glazing over such big topics here, but felt that a general comment was needed. Maybe if I get even more angst’y more blog posts will follow… watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment