Saturday 26 January 2013

Magazines, Chocolate and Sketches - Pure Escapism!


For me not much beats buying a new magazine, bar of chocolate and settling down for an hour or two pouring over fashion I’m unlikely to ever be able to afford and outfits I’m unlikely to have occasions to wear to or, depending on the magazine, working out what high street shops I’m next going to hit. I openly admit that sometimes a book just won’t do it and I need a magazine, judge me if you like! Some people literally do, during exam time at Uni the library is a sea of stressed people and when I visited the shop to get myself the latest episode of Company, alongside all the chemistry students firing equations at each other in the queue, I have to admit I felt slightly out of place.
I had an interesting exchange with the guy at the till –

Shop Guy - “You study here?”
Me – “Yes” 
Shop Guy – “Why are you buying a magazine?
Me – “Ummm”
Shop Guy – “You don’t have exams?”
Me – “Well … no … I like magazines, ok?”

Talk about judging me! I went back to my room and savoured being able to pour over the pages in peace.  I don’t have a favourite magazine; it varies from Cosmo, Company and Glamour to Elle and Vogue. It depends if I want to be slightly more realistic or experience pure escapism into a world of luxury! 

My favourite thing about reading magazines like Vogue or Elle is the gorgeous fashion shoots – I love making sketches from the images in the magazines.  There’s something therapeutic for me in choosing my favourite images and trying to recreate them.  Here are some examples:











No comments:

Post a Comment