Wednesday 2 January 2013

My Top Ten Tracks of 2012!

One of the biggest ways I procrastinate from doing work is browsing through Spotify and finding music I love! This year I’ve had the excuse of this being part of one of my modules, African American Music, and each week listening to 10 tracks that related to the lectures has been part of my coursework.   This means I’ve fallen in love with Al Greens ‘How Can You Mend a Broken Heart’ and loved dancing round my room to James Browns ‘Get Up Offa That Thing’, I've even found myself listening to N.W.A (those who know me know this is quite outside of my comfort zone!).

Music can take you straight back to a particular situation and make a memory so real again, something which I think everyone can relate to.  So here are my 10 top songs that do just that, as well as some that I’ve just loved throughout last year!

1. Sea Stacks - Flaws

As mentioned in my review of 2012, this year Sea Stacks got the chance to perform at Lee Fest and we were asked to do a cover of a song by another band performing - as Bastille were performing here is our cover of Flaws. 







2. Bombay Bicycle Club - Always Like This (Live from Ally Pally)

This was one of the best gigs I've ever been to and during this song my feet literally didn't touch the floor - maddest crowd ever and we were half way back!




Loving the tone death guy singing along throughout :-s


3. Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs - Stronger

When I was on placement I loved spending my train commute listening to new music but I also needed music to get me at a good walking pace so I didn't miss my train - here's a perfect example of a song that did just that. I think it's impossible to not feel awake after power walking to the station listening to this.





4. Arctic Monkeys - Come Together

I think anyones got to be pretty brave to do a Beatles cover, especially at the Olympics, but the Arctic Monkeys definitely pulled this one off. 





5. Man Like Me - Squeeze

Saw these guys live this year and they are the most charismatic performers! Brilliant fun to watch and this song was stuck in my head for most of the summer.




6. Al Green - How Can You Mend A Broken Heart

Pretty sure my flatmates were being driven mad by me playing this song on repeat for a few weeks - it's the best song to de-stress to and forget about all the stuff you have going on!




7. Elbow - The Night Will Always Win

You know you're at a good gig when you're fighting back the tears - I still get goosebumps watching this back. Hearing Wembley descend into almost silence for this track will stay with me for a long time. 




8. The Maccabees - Child

I think if I had to chose my favourite album that I've been listening to this year I'd chose The Maccabees - Given Into the Wild. It's pretty perfect!




9. Lianne La Havas - Forget

I saw Lianne supporting Bombay Bicycle Club and have been smitten ever since. This is a great one to sing along and dance around to.  I also love her style - serious wardrobe envy going on!




10. Grimes - Oblivion

I've only recently started listening to Grimes - she strikes me as very mysterious and quirky which I love! 




That was so hard - limiting myself to 10 was definitely a good idea or I could of gone on for hours! Maybe I will do monthly top 10s for 2013 so the end of next year isn't such a challenge - and there's my New Years Resolution - I've been trying to think of a good one that is actually feasible. 








No comments:

Post a Comment