Sunday 30 December 2012

1920's Dresses to Bring in 2013!



This New Years I’m going to a Prohibition themed party and can honestly say I’ve already had a blast just in preparing my outfit.  I may have got slightly carried away and brought three possible outfits but I couldn’t resist - the sales have been incredible! This also gave me the perfect excuse to play dress up and give myself my own little fashion shoot – a little self-indulgent but hey, it’s still technically Christmas, isn’t it? 









I always find myself getting slightly obsessed with a particular era and the 20s are definitely my era of the moment.  I’ve gone through fazes, probably led by many magazines as well as my love of old movies, the 50s has probably been the era whose fashion I've loved the most.  I have a gorgeous 50’s vintage yellow dress that I wore on my 16th Birthday to dress up as Sandy from Grease, and re-used it at my 19th Birthday which was movie themed (yes, I created the theme as an excuse to wear the dress again).  I also love Doris Day, I think her voice is so effortlessly beautiful and her movies are brilliant. They vary from the classic rom-com of the time to thrillers by Hitchcock, she’s starred with stars like Cary Grant and Frank Sinatra although my favourite of her many co-stars is Rock Hudson.  Pillow Talk is my absolute favourite and the film, Down With Love, starring Rene Zellweger and Ewan McGregor which is inspired by Doris's films and Pillow Talk in particular, is a treat.

Sandy blowing out the candles at her 19th Birthday

Back to the 20s, and my New Years outfit, I’ve had so much fun deciding on what I’m going to wear. Getting ready is always the best part of a night out, so I’ve just spread this out to last a few days rather than the few hours before you leave. I think I’m going to go with the black playsuit for the party but can't wait to wear the other two at events in the future! I've attempted 20s style hair too although will be getting some vintage styling tips on the day. 

The chosen outfit!

Thanks to my Mum and her expert techniques at making fake cigarettes 






Look how prettyyy it is!

Accidental pic but I quite like the effect!


 I hope everyone has an amazing New Years and has as much fun getting ready as I have so far.

Happy New Year!



No comments:

Post a Comment