Monday 24 December 2012

Introduction to the mess of ideas in my head


The endless questions are starting: What are you doing after graduation?  Do you have a plan? Are you going to move back home? When are you going to start applying for jobs? Have you applied for any graduate schemes?
Argh! It’s enough to send anyone, who doesn’t have a clear path mapped out, running for the exit faster than you can say 'graduate prospects'. 

After a recent trip to a Uni career fair, and being told that as a musician I can stand in the corner of an office and entertain the rest of the staff, I have to admit I’m not feeling wholly confident. Even after an amazing (but unpaid) placement year in a Museum, I still feel like, while my job was fantastic and inspiring, it will be hard to get the same experience again while also trying to earn a living. There is the added pressure of friends who seem very sorted with career plans or postgraduate study on the agenda and some are even married (very grown up!), while I’m still exploring what I really want and the path I want to set off on.
I’m very aware that the path I choose in 6 months isn’t necessarily the one I have to follow for the rest of my life, but it’s still looking quite intimidating out there!

My ideas change on an almost daily basis from freelance musician to finding a job in PR I’m feeling very fickle.  I love magazines and TV but does that mean a career in these fields is right for me? Am I tough enough to work in a fast paced and cut throat industry? Would I actually get enough work to live on if I give working freelance a go?  Should I go back to Plan A from when I was about 15 and just find a millionaire and marry him … going slightly against my principles as a woman. 

I’ve always dreamed of living right in the city, I love London more than anything and the thought of living someone where I can’t use my Oyster card doesn’t bare thinking about (I just about manage at Uni). Croydon’s my hometown and I do actually like it (although it has its off days … August 2011 springs to mind) but it’s not exactly Soho, Hoxton or Camden is it? But I know living in these places is definitely going to be a pipe dream for the foreseeable future, unless of course Plan A works out.

So that’s a lot of questions – bet you’re glad you’re not in my head right now aren’t you….

No comments:

Post a Comment